In 1960, then Lieutenant Biaggi received the New York City Police Medal of Honor for Valor, the Department's highest award (pictured above).
Here are just a few more highlights from former Congressman Biaggi's impressive career.
- Served for 23 years as New York City police officer, retiring in 1965 as a Detective Lieutenant.
- Wounded 10 times in the line of duty, and when he retired in 1965, he was the most decorated officer in New York City history.
- Went on to serve 20 years in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Authored the law to establish the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, among many other legislative accomplishments.
- Founded the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund in 1984.
Join us in wishing Mr. Biaggi the best on his 97th birthday.